Lockdown Working Mums in the Age of Zoom
Liz Sewell, Director of the GRoW Programme
Here at GRoW, I am managing a team of 11 women, my own girls are older, but between us the team has 26 children, 21 of them under eleven. So now we have home educators amongst us, as well as mums, carers, and team members. This is what we learnt in the first week:
– We all still want to work. –
Work is helping us make sense of the weirdness.
– Zoom is allowing us to have that shared time that makes work a good place to be, as well as a thing to do.
– We have agreed to start work later – to give everyone time to get the kids work done (and enjoy PE with Joe Wicks).
– We have agreed to try side by side working with the older kids, so they understand that work carries on as normal for them too.
– We are building a new team routine together so that we can find Zoom time, work time and family time to suit 12 families
Our motto is reach out for help if you need it, and offer if you have some time spare.
So solidarity to all the working, home educating, caring, sharing, supportive Mums out there – we’ve got this!
Liz Sewell FIEP is Director of the GRoW Programme and founded Belina Consulting. She is a former Chief Executive of the lone parent Charity Gingerbread and sits on the Mayor of London Skills for Londoners Board.